Growing Peppers & Chillis
Harvesting sweet, tasty peppers and chillis requires just a few simple tricks...
If you want to harvest tasty sweet peppers and fiery chillies this summer, here are some quick an easy growing tips and tricks:
- Provide seeds with warmth, similar to how you might sow tomato seeds.
- Plant out in full sun – ten hours of sunshine a day is ideal.
- Space plants out so that air can circulate as well as giving plants room to grow.
- Chilli plants can be grown closer together than sweet peppers, which should be spaced around 50cm apart.
- Plant into fertile, well-drained soil; watering regularly and laying mulch to retain moisture.
- Keep an eye on nitrogen too as excessive amounts will cause leafy growth and reduce fruit production.
- Pinch off early flowers to allow the plants to grow larger and stronger before bearing fruit.
- When harvesting, make sure you cut the fruit from the plant – pulling the fruit off can cause damage.
- Allowing fruit to ripen on the plant will produce the best flavour and nutrient profile.
- Stake taller varieties so that a heavy fruit load will not damage the plant.
Check out our range here: